I am happy to report that today I had a fantastic day! It started out early at about 8:00 when Ashleigh, Jake, and I proceeded to make scrambled eggs and bagels for breakfast. It was delicious, and although I don't really care for waking up before 9--okay, 10--I was in a good mood. The reason for my early awakening was to babysit for Tim and Stacey... they are the RDs here at Heritage. Their son's name is Joshua. He is two and so cute! I got there at 9 o'clock and the little one slept until 10:30, bless his precious soul! I know mothers who haven't had the privilege of sleeping that late ever since having kids. Joshua's sleeping so long amazed me.
Later that afternoon Kait text Ashleigh, Christina, and I, inviting us to accompany them to Shades Mills. It's a park here in Cambridge with a little beach along with other things that I didn't get to see. Ashleigh couldn't come because she had to work, but Jake came! It cost $4.25 to get into this park. Whoever heard of a park having and admissions fee? ... and they didn't even have caged animals. I only say caged because the squirrels twitching along the forest floor don't count. I want a zoo people! Springwater Park in Barrie has a zoo...
So anyway, we sat on a blanket in the sun by the lake. Then we sat on a blanket in the shade by the lake because the sun's rays seemed to be making us sweat in places we didn't know we had. We put our feet in the water for a little while, but quickly exited the water when Jake pointed out that there seemed to be green, poop-looking gunk floating on the water--straight towards us! There were canoes for us to rent and take out on the lake, which we were very interested in using, but we weren't sure where to pay or get lifejackets or anything. So needless to say, we didn't do that. Although we talked about just taking one and going out, but I believe that's called stealing and I've always been taught not to steal. So instead we played Phase 10. If you weren't aware, or have never heard of such a game here's a warning: longest card game ever. I don't advise anyone to play it while sitting on the ground unless you're up for being crippled for the rest of your life. My back still hurts. It's so long that we didn't even get to finish before it started raining on us. Pip, pip, looks like rain. We fled at the first cool drop on our sticky skin.
I had a nap when we got back to our apartment. Early mornings, fresh air, and wild heat have their way of making me oh so tired. I could barely keep my eyes open.
To end off my night I had perogies for dinner, and now I am here, curled up on the couch telling you all about my wonderful day. It's 10:30 already. Wow.
Today I was reading in John about Mary washing Christ's feet with her most fragrant perfume. And she used her hair as a cloth no doubt! What a servant's heart.
John 12:3-8
Mary therefore, took a pound of expensive ointment made from pure nard, and anointed the feet of Jesus and wiped his feet with her hair. The house was filled with the fragrance of the perfume. But Judas Iscariot, one of his disciples (he who was about to betray him), said, "Why was this ointment not sold for 300 denarii and given to the poor?" He said this, not because he cared about the poor, but because he was a thief, and having charge of the moneybag he used to help himself to what was put in it. Jesus said, "Leave her alone, so that she may keep it for the day of my burial. For the poor you always have with you, but you do not always have me"
I wish I could say that I am so much like Mary, so willing to sacrifice even the most valuable things just to use on someone's dirty old feet... on the feet of Christ. I am afraid to say that I might be more like Judas... the likes of a thief. I want my body to be filled with the fragrance of Christ. I want to have the heart of a servant, like Mary did. She loved her precious Jesus so much. I want that. I want to be able to show Him that in the way that I serve Him and serve others.
Something that sparked my interest was the words Christ used when he said, "but you do not always have me." He spoke of His burial, referencing to His death, but instead of saying "you will not always have me," he says, "do." I'm not sure why he used that word... I know that it's foreshadowing the shortness of time remaining for His disciples to take part in His earthly ministry... I just don't know why he would say do instead of will... like he was already dead or something.
Anyways, I'm pooped. I think I'll brush my teeth and then head to bed. Until next time...
0 comments:
Post a Comment